Friday, September 14, 2012

SAS - First Night At Dinner

The day of August 23, 2012 (6:09 PM)

As I sit at dinner I can't help to question myself, "Am I really going to be on ship for four months with people I know nothing about?” It hasn't really hit me yet but I guess I am, because the boat moving/shaking and there is no turning back now...

As great as this experience may seem, I know this has to be the most courageous thing I have ever done. Going to Korea wasn't something that frightened me, until I got there and knew I wasn't in America anymore. But this is something completely different. When the boat sailed off, I knew the next time I would see land was in 8 days.

Coming into this new community puts you in an awkward position, and as an SAS student you have no choice but to interact with others. It's a part of what, we as students are here for. Getting away from the social networking part of life and interacting with one another on a day-to-day basis. No Facebook, no Twitter, no Instragram. Most people in today's society would say this is impossible for our youth to even think about. Then there are those who believe our youth just need this kind of challenge. Whatever the case may be, I'm taking on the challenge. The most significant thing I learned today was that 6% of people in the world today have college degrees. SIX PERCENT!

Just to think that I will be a part of that percentage one day and have a semester visiting four continents is just phenomenal to me.


This could also be phenomenal for you, too!

The world is a huge book & those who don't travel to see it only stay on one page.
-St. Augustine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post comment here..